Volunteer Dental Program & U.I.C. College of Dentistry Student-Run Clinic
Our Dental Services provide comprehensive dental treatment and restorative services. We help patients achieve optimum oral health, enhance their appearance and increase their confidence.
The Dental Services Program helps homeless individuals maintain or attain dental wellness through free dental services provided by volunteer dentists and hygienists. There are very few sources of dental care available to people who are homeless. Exhibiting good dental hygiene and being pain free are essential to becoming employed and maintaining stable employment.
“…research is pointing to associations between chronic oral infections and heart and lung diseases, cardiovascular disease, stroke, and low-birth-weight, premature births. Associations between periodontal disease and diabetes have long been noted… Oral health is essential to the general health and well-being of all Americans.”
-Oral Health In American A Report of the Surgeon General
Through our partnership with University of Illinois at Chicago-College of Dentistry, we have established a nationally-recognized, first ever Student-Run Dental Clinic. Our Dental Clinic provides a hands-on experience in the field of public health dentistry to over 200 students in the last three academic years.
We have provided treatment to over 2500 homeless adults. We restore their oral health and free them of mouth pain. Our services have provided them with the tools and the knowledge needed to properly maintain their oral health as well as instruct their family in the future.
Before Goldie’s After Goldie’s
Goldie’s Place provides an array of dental care services and has achieved a lot over the years.
- Continuous dental services for the homeless since 1997
- The gift of a building by an angel donor and completion of a major capital project to establish a modern four-chair dental suite in 2007-2008
- 25 volunteer dentists, nearly 1,250 annual patient visits
- Expansion in scope of services from basic dentistry to include root canal therapy, surgical extractions, installation of partials and full dentures
The Goldie’s Place Dental Clinic is a unique multi-purpose resource with additional capacity:
- Treatment facility
- Learning laboratory
- Entry point for a broad array of services for the homeless